Associate Research Scientist
Center for Integrated Science and Engineering & Department of Mechanical Engineering
530 West 120th Street Phone: (512) 576-3225
Schapiro CEPSR Room 1001 E-mail: email@example.com
New York, NY 10027 firstname.lastname@example.org
01/2014-Present Associate Research Scientist The Hone Lab, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Columbia University
Research Activity: Two-dimensional (2D) material electrical and optical devices.
10/2010-01/2014 Research Fellow The Ruoff Lab, Department of Mechanical Engineering, the University of Texas at Austin
Research Activity: High-quality 2D materials by chemical vapor deposition (CVD) growth; study of growth kinetics; electrical device design, fabrication, and measurement.
03/2007-09/2010 Research Fellow Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, National University of Singapore
Research Activity: Graphene fabrication; optical and electrical characterizations; design, installation, and test of CVD growth systems as well as electrical transport systems.
06/2006-03/2007 Research Associate Institute of Solid State Physics, Chinese Academy of Sciences
Research Activity: One-dimensional nanomaterials growth and characterizations.
09/2001-06/2006 Ph.D. Institute of Solid State Physics, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Hefei, Anhui, China.
09/1997-07/2001 B.S. National Training Program for Physics Researchers and Teachers, Department of Physics, Shanxi University, Taiyuan, Shanxi, China.
Research Expertise & Interests
*Growth of high quality 2D materials, 2D material hetero-structures, and other novel materials;
*Robust growth mechanisms of 2D materials;
*Exotic electrical, optical, and mechanical properties of novel materials;
*Design and fabrication of 2D materials devices for electronic and optoelectronic applications.
[Citations: 2065; H-index: 25; Google Scholar, December 18, 2014
1622; H-index: 22; ISI Web of Science, December 18, 2014]
First Author Papers
- 1. Yufeng Hao, M. S. Bharathi, Lei Wang, Yuanyue Liu, Hua Chen, Shu Nie, Xiaohan Wang, Harry Chou, Cheng Tan, Babak Fallahazad, H. Ramanarayan, Carl W. Magnuson, Emanuel Tutuc, Boris I. Yakobson, Kevin F. McCarty, Yong-Wei Zhang, Philip Kim, James Hone, Luigi Colombo, and Rodney S. Ruoff, The Role of Surface Oxygen in the Growth of Large Single-Crystal Graphene on Copper, Science 2013, 342, 720-723 (Cover Story)
- 2. Yufeng Hao, Lei Wang, Yuanyue Liu, Hua Chen, Shu Nie, Xiaohan Wang, Harry Chou, Cheng Tan, Boris I. Yakobson, Kevin F. McCarty, Philip Kim, James Hone, Luigi Colombo, and Rodney S. Ruoff, Controlled Growth of Large Single-Crystal Bilayer Graphene on Copper, (Submitted)
- 3. Yufeng Hao, Yingying Wang, Lei Wang, Zhenhua Ni, Ziqian Wang, Rui Wang, Chee Keong Koo, Zexiang Shen, and John T.L. Thong, Probing Layer Number and Stacking Order of Few-Layer Graphene by Raman Spectroscopy, Small 6(2010) 195-200.
- 4. Yufeng Hao, Guowen Meng, Zhong Lin Wang, Changhui Ye, Lide Zhang, Periodically twinned nanowires and polytypic nanobelts of ZnS: the role of mass diffusion in Vapor-Liquid-Solid growth, Nano Lett. 6 (2006) 1650-1655.
- 5. Yufeng Hao, Guowen Meng, Changhui Ye, Xueru Zhang, Lide Zhang, Kinetics-driven growth of orthogonally branched single-crystalline magnesium oxide nanostructures, J. Phys. Chem. B 109 (2005) 11204-11208.
- 6. Yufeng Hao, Guowen Meng, Changhui Ye, Lide Zhang, Controlled synthesis of In2O3 octahedrons and nanowires, Cryst. Growth Des. 5(2005) 1617-1621.
- 7. Yufeng Hao, Guowen Meng, Changhui Ye, Lide Zhang, Reversible blue light emission from self-assembled silica nanocords, Appl. Phys. Lett. 87(2005) 033106.
- 8. Yufeng Hao, Guowen Meng, Ye Zhou, Mingguang Kong, Min Ye, Qing Wei, Lide Zhang, Tuning the architecture of MgO nanostructures by chemical vapor transport and condensation, Nanotechnology 17(2006) 5006-5012.
- 9. Wenzhuo Wu, Lei Wang, Yilei Li, Fan Zhang, Long Lin, Simiao Niu, Daniel Chenet, Xian Zhang, Yufeng Hao, Tony F. Heinz, James Hone, Zhong Lin Wang, Piezoelectricity of single-atomic-layer MoS2 for energy conversion and piezotronics, Nature 2014, 514, 470-474.
- 10. Vasilii I. Artyukhov, Yufeng Hao, Rodney S. Ruoff, Boris I. Yakobson, Breaking of symmetry in graphene growth on metal substrates, Physical Review Letters (In press)
- 11. Bruno R. Carvalho, Yufeng Hao, Cristiano Fantini, Ariete Righi, Sara D. Costa, Luigi Colombo, Rodney S. Ruoff, Marcos A. Pimenta, Probing electron and phonon dispersion of isotopically enrichment graphene using Resonant Raman Spectroscopy Physical Review B (submitted)
- 12. Yingnan Liu, Cheng Tan, Harry Chou, Avinash Nayak, Di Wu, Rudresh Ghosh,c Hsiao-Yu Chang, Yufeng Hao, Xiaohan Wang, Joonseok Kim, Richard Piner, Rodney S. Ruoff, Deji Akinwande, Keji Lai, Spatial Progression of Thermal Oxidation in Layered WSe2 Nano-sheets, ACS Nano (submitted)
- 13. Chong Guan Low, Qing Zhang, Yufeng Hao, Rodney S. Ruoff, Graphene field effect transistors with mica as gate dielectric layers, Small 2014, 10, 4213-4218.
- 14. Xiaohan Wang, Li Tao, Yufeng Hao, Zhihong Liu, Shanshan Chen, Iskandar Kholmanov, Harry Chou, Cheng Tan, Nishant Jayant, Qingkai Yu, Deji Akinwande, and Rodney S. Ruoff, Direct delamination of graphene onto polyimide for plastic electronics, Small 2014, 10, 694-698.
- 15. Jin-Young Kim, Jongho Lee, Wi Hyoung Lee, Iskandar N. Kholmanov, Ji Won Suk, Tae Young Kim, Yufeng Hao, Harry Chou, Deji Akinwande, and Rodney S. Ruoff, Flexible and Transparent Dielectric Film with a High Dielectric Constant using Chemical Vapor Deposition-Grown Graphene Interlayer, ACS Nano 2014, 8, 269-274.
- 16. Richard Piner, Huifeng Li, Xianghua Kong, Li Tao, Iskandar N. Kholmanov, Hengxing Ji, Wi Hyoung Lee, Ji Won Suk,Jongpil Ye, Yufeng Hao, Shanshan Chen, Carl W. Magnuson, Ariel Ismach, Deji Akinwande, and Rodney S. Ruoff, Graphene synthesis via Magnetic Inductive Heating of Copper Substrates. ACS Nano 2013, 7, 7495-7499.
- 17. Yaping Wu, Yufeng Hao, Hu Young Jeong, Zonghoon Lee, Shanshan Chen, Wei Jiang, Qingzhi Wu, Richard D. Piner, Junyong Kang, Rodney S. Ruoff, Crystal Structure Evolution of Individual Graphene Islands During CVD Growth on Copper Foil, Advanced Materials 2013, 25, 6744-6751.
- 18. S. Hossein Mousavi, Iskandar Kholmanov, Kamil B. Alici, David Purtseladze, Nihal Arju, Kaya Tatar, David Y. Fozdar, Ji Won Suk, Yufeng Hao, Alexander B. Khanikaev, Rodney S. Ruoff, and Gennady Shvets, Inductive Tuning of Fano-Resonant Metasurfaces Using Plasmonic Response of Graphene in the Mid-Infrared. Nano Lett. 2013, 13, 1111–1117.
- 19. Ji Won Suk, Wi Hyoung Lee, Jongho Lee, Harry Chou, Richard D. Piner, Yufeng Hao, Yerim Yeon, Deji Akinwande, and Rodney S. Ruoff, Enhancement of the Electrical Properties of Chemical Vapor Deposited-Grown Graphene by Controlling The Effects of Polymer Residue Nano Lett. 2013, 13, 1462-1467
- 20. Seonyoung Jegal, Yufeng Hao, Duhee Yoon, Rodney S Ruoff, Hoyeol Yun, Sang Wook Lee, Hyeonsik Cheong, Crystallographic orientation of early domains in CVD graphene studied by Raman spectroscopy. Chemical Physics Letters, 2013, 568, 146-150.
- 21. Adrian G. Swartz, Kathleen M. McCreary, Wei Han, Jared J. I. Wong, Patrick M. Odenthal, Hua Wen, Jen-Ru Chen, Roland K. Kawakami, Yufeng Hao, Rodney S. Ruoff and Jaroslav Fabian, Integrating MBE materials with graphene to induce novel spin-based phenomena, J. Vac. Sci. Technol. B 31, 04D105 (2013)
- 22. Qingzhi Wu, Yaping Wu, Yufeng Hao, Jianxin Geng, Matthew Charlton, Shanshan Chen, Yujie Ren, Hengxing Ji, Huifeng Li, Danil W. Boukhvalov, Richard D. Piner, Christopher W. Bielawski, and Rodney S. Ruoff, Selective Surface Functionalization at Regions of High Local Curvature in Graphene. Chem. Commun. 49, 677, 2013
- 23. Cheng Gong, Herman Carlo Floresca, David Hinojos, Stephen McDonnell, Xiaoye Qin, Yufeng Hao, Srikar Jandhyala, Greg Mordi, Jiyoung Kim, Luigi Colombo, Rodney S. Ruoff, Moon J Kim, Kyeongjae Cho, Robert M. Wallace, and Yves J. Chabal, Rapid Selective Etching of PMMA Residues from Transferred Graphene by Carbon Dioxide J. Phys. Chem. C, 117(2013) 23000-23008.
- 24. Cheng Gong, Chunming Huang, Justin Miller, Lanxia Cheng, Yufeng Hao, David Cobden, Jiyoung Kim, Rodney S. Ruoff, Robert Wallace, Kyeongjae Cho, Xiaodong Xu, Yves Chabal, Metal Contacts on Physical Vapor Deposited Monolayer MoS2. ACS Nano 7(2013) 11350-11357.
- 25. Jongho Lee, Li Tao, Kristen N. Parrish, Yufeng Hao, Rodney S. Ruoff, and Deji Akinwande, Multi-finger flexible graphene field effect transistors with high bendability Appl. Phys. Lett. 2012, 101, 252109.
- 26. Sara D. Costa, Ariete Righi, Cristiano Fantini, Yufeng Hao, Carl Magnuson, Luigi Colombo, Rodney S. Ruoff, Marcos A. Pimenta, Resonant Raman spectroscopy of graphene grown on copper substrates, Solid State Commun. 152 (2012)1317-1320
- 27. Jongho Lee, Li Tao, Yufeng Hao, Rodney S. Ruoff, and Deji Akinwande Embedded-gate graphene transistors for high-mobility detachable flexible nanoelectronics Appl. Phys. Lett. 100, 152104 (2012)
- 28. Babak Fallahazad, Yufeng Hao, Kayoung Lee, Seyoung Kim, R. S. Ruoff, and E. Tutuc, Quantum Hall effect in Bernal stacked and twisted bilayer graphene grown on Cu by chemical vapor deposition, Physical Review B 85 (2012) 201408
- 29. Yujie Ren, Chaofu Zhu, Weiwei Cai, Huifeng Li, Yufeng Hao, Yaping Wu, Shanshan Chen, Qingzhi Wu, Richard D. Piner, and Rodney S. Ruoff, An Improved Method for Transferring Graphene Grown by Chemical Vapor Deposition, Nano 7(2012) 1150001.
- 30. Wi Hyoung Lee, Ji Won Suk, Jongho Lee, Yufeng Hao, Jaesung Park, Hyung Wook Ha, Shanthi Murali, Harry Chou, Deji Akinwande, Kwang S. Kim, and Rodney S. Ruoff, Simultaneous transfer and doping of CVD-grown graphene by fluoropolymer for transparent conductive films on plastic ACS Nano 6(2012)1284-1290.
- 31. Wi Hyoung Lee, Ji Won Suk, Harry Chou, Jongho Lee, Yufeng Hao, Yaping Wu, Richard D. Piner, Deji Akinwande, Kwang S. Kim, and Rodney S. Ruoff, Selective-Area Fluorination of Graphene with Fluoropolymer and Laser Irradiation, Nano Lett. 12(2012) 2374-2378.
- 32. Yaping Wu, Wei Jiang, Yujie Ren, Weiwei Cai, Wihyoung Lee, Huifeng Li, Richard Piner, Yufeng Hao, Hengxing Ji, JunYong Kang, and Rodney S. Ruoff, Tuning the conductivity type and level of graphene with different gold configurations, Small, 8(2012) 3129-3136
- 33. Ji Won Suk, Karen Kirk, Yufeng Hao, Neal A. Hall, and Rodney S. Ruoff, Thermoacoustic sound generation from monolayer graphene for transparent and flexible sound sources, Advanced Materials, 2012, 24, 6342.
- 34. Yaping Wu, Harry Chou, Hengxing Ji, Qingzhi Wu, Shanshan Chen, Wei Jiang, Yufeng Hao, Junyong Kang, Yujie Ren, Richard D. Piner, and Rodney S. Ruoff, Growth mechanism study and controlled-synthesis of AB-stacked bilayer graphene on Cu-Ni alloy foils, ACS Nano 6(2012) 7731-7738
- 35. Adrian G. Swartz, Patrick M. Odenthal, Yufeng Hao, Rodney S. Ruoff, Roland K. Kawakami, Integration of the ferromagnetic insulator EuO onto graphene, ACS Nano 6(2012) 10063
- 36. Jongho Lee, Li Tao, Kristen N. Parrish, Yufeng Hao, Rodney S. Ruoff, Deji Akinwande, Highly Bendable High-mobility Graphene Field Effect Transistors with Multi-finger Embedded Gates on Flexible Substrates, 12th IEEE Conference on Nanotechnology (IEEE-NANO) Birmingham, ENGLAND, AUG 20-23, 2012.
- 37. Lee, Jongho; Parrish, Kristen N; Chowdhury, Sk. Fahad; Ha, Tae-Jun; Hao, Yufeng; Tao, Li; Dodabalapur, Ananth; Ruoff, Rodney S.; Akinwande, Deji, State-of-the-art Graphene Transistors on Hexagonal Boron Nitride, High-k, and Polymeric Films for GHz Flexible Analog Nanoelectronics, 2012 IEEE International Electron Devices Meeting (IEDM) Published: DEC 10-13, 2012.
- 38. Hengxing Ji, Yufeng Hao, Yujie Ren, Matthew Charlton, Wihyoung Lee, Qingzhi Wu, Huifeng Li, Yanwu Zhu, Yaping Wu, Richard Piner, and Rodney S. Ruoff, Graphene Growth Using a Solid Carbon Feedstock and Hydrogen, ACS Nano 5 (2011) 7656-7661.
- 39. Ji Won Suk, Alexander Kitt, Carl W. Magnuson, Yufeng Hao, Samir Ahmed, Jinho An, Anna K. Swan, Bennett B. Goldberg, and Rodney S. Ruoff, Transfer of CVD-Grown Monolayer Graphene onto Arbitrary Substrates, ACS Nano 5 (2011) 6916-6924.
- 40. Radosav Svetozara Pantelic, Ji Won Suk, Yufeng Hao, Rodney S. Ruoff, and Henning Stahlberg, Oxidative doping renders graphene hydrophilic, facilitating its use as a support in biological TEM, Nano Letters 11(2011)4319-4323.
- 41. Wei Liu, Rolando Valdes Aguilar, Yufeng Hao, Rodney S Ruoff, N. Peter Armitage, Broadband microwave and time-domain terahertz spectroscopy of CVD grown graphene, J. Appl. Phys., 110(2011) 083510
- 42. Huijuan Zhang, Chee-Leong Wong, Yufeng Hao, Rui Wang, Xiaogang Liu, Francesco Stellacci, and John T. L. Thong, Self-aligned Nanolithography by Selective Polymer Dissolution, Nanoscale 2(2010) 2302-2306.
- 43. Rui Wang, Yufeng Hao, Ziqian Wang, Hao Gong, and John T. L. Thong, Large-Diameter Graphene Nanotube Synthesized Using Ni Nanowire Templates, Nano Letters 10 (2010) 4844-4850.
- 44. Yingying Wang, Zhenhua Ni, Hailong Hu, Yufeng Hao, C. P. Wong, Ting Yu, John T. L. Thong, Zexiang Shen, Gold on graphene as a substrate for surface enhanced Raman scattering study, Applied Physics Letters, 97 (2010), 163111.
- 45. Lei Liao, Bin Yan, Yufeng Hao, Guozhong Xing, J. P. Liu, B. C. Zhao, Z. X. Shen, T. Wu, L. Wang, J. T. L. Thong, C. M. Li, W. Huang, Ting Yu, P-type electrical, photoconductive, and anomalous ferromagnetic properties of Cu2O nanowires, Appl. Phys. Lett. 94(2009) 113106.
- 46. Xiaoli He, Guangbing Yue, Yufeng Hao, Qiaoling Xu, Qing Wei, Xiaoguang Zhu, Mingguang Kong, Lide Zhang and Xing Li, Structure and magnetic properties of CoNiP nanowire arrays embedded in AAO template, J. Crys. Growth 310(2008) 3579-3583.
- 47. J.G.Q. Ler, Yufeng Hao, J.T.L. Thong, Effect of sidewall modification in the determination of friction coefficient of vertically aligned carbon nanotube films using friction force microscopy, Carbon 45 (2007) 2737-2743.
- 48. Dachi Yang, Guowen Meng, Shuyuan Zhang, Yufeng Hao, Xiaohong An, Qing Wei, Min Ye, Lide Zhang, Electrochemical synthesis of metal and semimetal nanotube-nanowire heterojunctions and their electronic transport properties, Chem. Commun. 2007, 17, 1733-1735.
- 49. Qing Wei, Guowen Meng, Min Ye, Xiaohong An, Yufeng Hao, Lide Zhang, Hollow Micro-Spherical Architectures of Closely Packed and Radially Well-Aligned Zn2SiO4 Nanowires with and without ZnO Nanocrust, J. Phys. Chem. C 111 (2007) 1924-1928.
- 50. Xueru Zhang, Y. Ding, Yong Zhang, Yufeng Hao, Guowen Meng, and Lide Zhang, Thermal behavior of antimony nanowire arrays embedded in anodic aluminum oxide template, Journal of Thermal Analysis and Calorimetry 89 (2007) 493-497.
- 51. Guosheng Cheng, Eric Stern, Stan Guthrie, Mark A. Reed, Robert Klie, Yufeng Hao, Guowen Meng, Lide Zhang, Indium oxide nanostructures, Appl. Phys. A: Materials Science & Processing 85(2006) 233-240.
- 52. Qing Wei, Guowen Meng, Xiaohong An, Yufeng Hao, Lide Zhang, Synthesis and photoluminescence of aligned straight silica nanowires on Si substrate, Solid State Commun. 138(2006) 325-330.
- 53. Changhui Ye, Xiaosheng Fang, Yufeng Hao, Xuemei Teng, Lide Zhang, Zinc oxide nanostructures: morphology derivation and evolution, J. Phys. Chem. B 109(2005) 19758-19765.
- 54. Xiaohong An, Guowen Meng, Qing Wei, Xueru Zhang, Yufeng Hao, Lide Zhang, Synthesis and photoluminescence of SnO2/SiO2 microrings, Adv. Mater. 17(2005) 1781-1784.
- 55. Xueru Zhang, Yufeng Hao, Guowen Meng, Lide Zhang, Fabrication of Highly ordered InSb nanowire arrays by electrodeposition in porous anodic alumina membranes, J. Electrochem. Soc. 152(2005) C664-C668.
- 56. Qing Wei, Guowen Meng, Xiaohong An, Yufeng Hao, Lide Zhang, Temperature-controlled growth of ZnO nanostructures: branched nanobelts and wide nanosheets, Nanotechnology 16(2005) 2561-2566.
- 57. Shuhui Sun, Guowen Meng, Mingang Zhang, Yufeng Hao, Xueru Zhang, Lide Zhang, Microscopy study of the growth process and structural features of closely packed silica nanowires, J. Phys. Chem. B 107(2003) 13029-13032.
- 1. Guowen Meng, and Yufeng Hao, Controlled synthesis of novel architectures consisting of one-dimensional nanostructures by vapor routes, Encyclopedia of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology edited by H. S. Nalwa, Volume 12, 2011. American Scientific Publisher
- 1. Method of forming graphene single-crystal domains
Luigi Colombo, Yufeng Hao, Rodney S. Ruoff
Date of Submission 20140415; Application No.10046-061US1
- 2. Self-Assembled Silica Nanoropes with Reversible Blue Light Emission. 02/2009
Yufeng Hao, Guowen Meng, Lide Zhang.
- 3. Hollow Micro-spheres of Closely Packed and Radially Well-Aligned Zn2SiO4 Nanowires with and without ZnO Crust. 07/2009
Qing Wei, Guowen Meng, Xiaohong An, Yufeng Hao, Lide Zhang
- 4. Over-Temperature and Over-Current Protection Device for Anodic Oxidation of Aluminum Oxide Template. 01/2011
Ye Zhou, Biao Wang, Bing Wu, Guangtao Fei, Ping Cui, Yufeng Hao
Invited and contributed conference presentations
- 1. “Raman Spectroscopy and Imaging of Chemical Vapor Deposited Graphene” (Invited Talk), WiTec-Harvard University Workshop: 3D Raman Imaging and Correlative Scanning Microscopy Techniques, Cambridge, MA August 14-15, 2014.
- 2. “Chemical Vapor Deposition of Graphene and Chemically derived Graphene” (Plenary Talk), New Diamond and Nano Carbons Conference (NDNC2012), San Juan, Puerto Rico, May 20-24, 2012
- 3. “Large Single-Crystal Graphene Growth on Copper: The Role of Oxygen”, American Physics Society March Meeting, Denver, CO, March 4, 2014.
- 4. “Growth and Characterizations of High Quality Monolayer and Bilayer Graphene”, Materials Research Society Fall Meeting & Exhibit, Boston, MA, November 25-30, 2012.
- 5. “Growth and Characterization of high quality Graphene and its Bilayer”, NRI SWAN Center Annual Review, Austin, Texas, September 13-14, 2012.
- 6. “Chemical Vapor Deposition of Graphene and Hexagonal Boron Nitride”, NRI SWAN Center Annual Review, Austin, Texas, September 14-15, 2011.
- 7. “CVD Graphene Growth on Copper”, The Seventh International Nanotechnology Conference on Communication and Cooperation (INC7), Albany, New York, May 16-19, 2011.
- 8. “Probing layer number and stacking order of few-layer graphene by Raman spectroscopy”, Materials Research Society Spring Meeting, San Francisco, USA, April 5-9, 2010.
- 9. “Clean graphene electrical devices by stencil mask lithography”, Materials Research Society Spring Meeting, San Francisco, USA, April 5-9, 2010.
- 10. “Silica Nanocords with Reversible Blue Light Emission”, 2005 Doctoral Forum of China, Shanghai, China, Oct 15-18, 2005.
- 11. “Morphology-Controlled Synthesis of Indium Oxide Nanostructures and Their Photoluminescence Properties”, China International Conference on Nanoscience & Technology (CHINA NANO 2005), Beijing, China, June 9-11, 2005.
- 12. “Synthesis and Characterizations of Large-Area, High Quality Bilayer Graphene”, Materials Research Society Fall Meeting & Exhibit, Boston, MA, December 1-5, 2014
Referee Works for Scientific Journals
Nature Communications; Nano Letters; ACS NANO; Advanced Materials; Advanced Functional Materials; Energy & Environmental Science; Applied Physical Letters; ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces; Carbon; Journal of Physical Chemistry; Journal of Materials Chemistry A/C; Nano Research; Crystal Growth & Design; Optics Express; Journal of Applied Physics; Nanotechnology; Scientific Reports; Journal of Materials Research; Journal of Nano Research; Physics Letters A; Materials Research Initiative; Materials Letters; Chemistry Letters; Materials Research Bulletin; Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics; Journal of Vacuum Science & Technology B; IEEE Transactions on Nanotechnology
2011-present American Physical Society
2010-present Materials Research Society